Thursday 20 January 2011

Making a room


All the houses in our row are identical in layout. It's quite spooky when you go into your neighbour's house and it's your house but with all their stuff in. We all have this tiny room at the top and both our neighbours have asked '...what have you done with your box room?' to which I reply, 'it's Luke's room'.

Being the last on the scene he drew the short straw on rooms, but luckily he doesn't seem to have noticed that yet. Before he was born, his room was full of all our old junk, so after a bit of re-organisation, some white paint, a cot, couple of pictures, his room was done.


It's only recently as he's getting older that I thought it was time to make a bit more effort with his room. So over Christmas I finally bought this print from Strawberry Luna that I have had my eye on for him for ages. The customs gods were smiling on me and it snuck through without them noticing, if only all my Etsy orders were the same.

The print is even more beautiful in person, the colours are wonderfully dense and matt, the animals so cute. But it has been a long time between my Etsy purchase, Christmas, asking our neighbours to pick up a Ribba on their Ikea trip, slicing my finger on the perilously sharp glass and then getting the drill out and finally hanging it on the wall. Now, our son is many things; contrary, noisy, shy, often quite terrible, but he is also he very good receiver of presents being first speechless and then effusive in his thanks when he gets something he loves. It makes it all worthwhile.


Not stopping there though, further demonstrating the perils of internet shopping (it's just too easy) I succumbed to the Belle and Boo Christmas sale and bought these Dinosaur wall stickers that again, I had been eying up for ages. If you have kids or want a really beautiful gift, have a look at their shop (and their story is pretty inspirational too if you have an Etsy shop).

I was a bit wary of getting wall stickers as I just knew the boy could suddenly decide they were too scary and I would find myself picking them off the wall at 3am on a Tuesday morning.


But these stickers are beautiful (again even more so in person) the colours are so rich and real. They were really easy to put on, the hardest thing was deciding where. Belle and Boo (and friends) are riding the dinosaurs (who look entirely friendly and non-threatening) and I have persuaded him that it's actually him and his sister taking a ride which appealed greatly.


Finally, on closer inspection of his sister's room (when putting her up her beautiful new Strawberry Luna print - 'mummy there's a heart in the bike wheel!'), he noticed that she has some pretty bunting that my mum made for my gran's 90th birthday. So my next task is to make some bunting, and I shall do it quickly because he has asked me about it every day since we first talked about it.


Sorry I have been a bit absent this week, it's a combination of being rather busy writing for another blog (more to follow on that exciting news if it happens) and perhaps a contrast to my excessive blogging last week. Thank you Florence for noticing though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment