Friday 19 October 2012

Quilting must have: 1/4 inch seam foot


As a relative new comer to quilting I have definitely struggled with the 1/4 inch seam. It's so tiny and unforgiving and my erratic skills at sewing in a straight line are not suited to it. But I appreciate how much fabric you can save, how the seams are less bulky and there must be something to it as everyone is doing it.


So, on my latest quilt (more on that to follow) which was positively swimming with seams, I finally bought myself a 1/4 inch seam foot. Heading over to the Janome site I was confronted with a lot of different feet which were rather enticing, think of all the clever things I could do with them? 

Firstly I was stumped by the category of my machine, as there were different feet for different categories. A quick call to Janome and the lady on the phone informed me of the correct one for my machine (a Janome  TXL 607). And the next day the foot arrived.


See how at home it looks. I am a total convert, it has transformed my sewing of those tricky little seams, no more fruitlessly trying to match up my fabric to the guidelines on the machine. The black guard lines up the seam perfectly and I can now zip through without really having to engage my brain. Which is probably my favourite way to approach most things in life.

My only regret is that I didn't buy this little beauty earlier. What's your sewing much have? A close second for me is a quilters ruler which was a horribly expensive piece of plastic but again quite in-disposable now I have it.



5 comments:

  1. Oh I agree, that foot is a lifesaver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! However be aware that these feet are not usually a scant 1/4 inch but can be exactly or a little over. So a block with lots of seams in it can come out a little too small.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'm with you too! I'd be lost without this little 1/4" foot! And seam ripper of course...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how nifty. I could definitely do with one of these. I think my rotary cutter / mat / ruler combination have had the biggest effect on my sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! I'm not bothered about a 1/4 inch seam foot, but would LOVE a walking foot... but every time I get on to the Janome website my mind gets boggled trying to work out which one I need to buy... and *then* I remember they cost £50!! I love my quilter's ruler too, but my new total must-have is a Sewline glue pen - I have no idea how I ever lived without one.

    ReplyDelete