Friday 22 July 2011

End of an era...


my sofa disappearing under a year's worth of school stuff

I know some schools finished for the summer weeks ago. But my daughter’s school breaks up today and the last few weeks have been a whirlwind of sports days, picnics, and the famed leavers assembly as she makes the move from infant to junior school.

It seems that the tradition at our leavers assembly is for the kids to sing ‘Three Little Birds’ by Bob Marley. Even now with a safe few weeks between me and that performance, the memory still brings a lump to my throat as my not so little girl goes off to big school.

At my niece’s leavers assembly they sang ‘Fix You’ by Coldplay and my sister commented that it felt like they were going off to war. Teachers out there – is there a staff room sweep stake on how many parents you can make cry at the end of term?

So with the summer holidays upon us, I hope I get time to carry on blogging and look forward to your comments and hearing what you have been up to too. 

Have a happy weekend,
Kate
x

3 comments:

  1. My son's school have a 'leavers arch' where the entire school make a tunnel in pairs with their arms. The leavers then go through the tunnel to general cheering and back slapping. Not a dry eye in the house, guaranteed. I hope the transition from infants to juniors goes well. Have a lovely summer. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girls leave nursery next Friday to start school in September, I am going to be a weeping mess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane - that sounds like a nightmare! wishing you a happy summer too.

    Flying Blind - glad it's not just me, although I suspect with summer of both my kids off will leave me a weeping mess :)

    ReplyDelete