Tuesday 13 December 2011

Your dressmaking heros


After thinking about sewing books and Christmas and having a look at my bookshelf, I'd love to know what you consider to be the sewing bible.

I have a whole host of sewing books, but I have never had one recommended to me as the book I should own, especially for dressmaking. Is there a book that your mum (or dad) owned had that you now have a copy of?

Also with so many amazing bloggers around, which is your definitive blog when thinking about dressmaking or quilting?

Let me know what you think! Looking forward to your suggestions,

Kate
x

6 comments:

  1. At school doing "Dress" O level, the readers digest book of sewing was our bible- I still have it now- I am guessing they don't do bound pockets at GCSE textiles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok my absolute can't-live-without book, is The Gentle Art of Quiltmaking by Jane Brocket. I've made several quilts inspired by it. I love the way she talks about the process and about colour and it works for me. I do think there is an element of personality in what we like. I tend to go with the flow and so that suits me, where as someone else may need a more structured style.
    Bloggers, if I could only read two blogs, I would read Rita at Red Pepper Quilts and Anita at Bloomin Workshop. Completely different but awesome and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Sewing Book by Alison Smith. Idiot-proof instructions for just about everything, and really clear diagrams as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fit for Real People is the sewing book I've referenced the most :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with Tina. The Sewing Book is a great all rounder, especially for a relative beginner like me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. For techniques, I love Ruth Singer's Sew It Up, which has incredibly clear pictures and is also handy as a pattern weight when you run out of hands ;) For quilting, I love The Beginner's Guide to Patchwork by Elizabeth Hartman, for very similar reasons!

    For blogs, I think Very Kerry Berry would be my essential quilting blog, while Casey's Elegant Musings is my go-to for dressmaking. Although I won't be cutting back the 100+ blogs in my Google Reader any time soon!

    ReplyDelete